This blog is the real, much too bias, hopefully funny, brutally honest account of my life.
You can also learn about me on twitter, where I am way too much myself. https://twitter.com/hlsmith121

Thursday, January 4, 2018

How Cutting All Animal Products Helped Me Regain Balance

Going back through my blog's history, I've found there are a TON of "Hey look I"m starting a new diet" posts, and nothing ever really stuck. I would start, full throttle on something, survive a few weeks (if that) and then fall off whatever bandwagon I'd been hitched to. I wanted to write about this one right away as well, but decided to hold off until I could actually report my findings, and not just my excitement for a new way of living. But here I am ready to report on my 5 months in on eating a whole foods, plant based diet....aka a vegan diet.

Kyle and I started after a particularly binge ridden few weeks, in an effort to detox our poor bodies, and shed a few extra pounds. We wanted to incorporate more vegetables, and after watching one Netflix documentary or another about the dangers of animal products, we decided to take a break. At the time, we didn't put a time limit on it, we just wanted to try something new.

While many people (myself included before making this change) see veganism as the equivalent of eating rabbit food with no flavor, I've found that this has worked for us. We eat a wide range of foods, even some of our favorites - just modified a little. The benefits range from clearer skin, more energy, reduced inflammation (aka no more sciatica pain for Kyle), weight-loss, and regulated hormones. (no more mood swings for me!) The biggest benefit I've found, however, is that my relationship with food has changed for the better.

As someone who struggles with binge eating, and has some dangerous food habits, this lifestyle change has made a tremendous difference in the way that I see and think about food. I've started to eat "intuitively," which pretty much means I eat when I'm hungry, and stop when I'm full. I rarely overindulge, and when I do, I don't sit there bemoaning myself for hours afterward. When we do eat vegan junk (trust me, there is plenty) we almost always follow it up with a big bowl of vegetables at our next meal. We no longer eat fast food, or out at restaurants at all really, and our meals are 95% fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.

I no longer feel the need to restrict anything because I've learned to listen to my body, and actually hear what it's saying. I eat as many carbs as I can get my hands on, and I still feel great at the end of the day. I have clarity when it comes to seeing what my body needs, and it's awesome. I no longer feel the need to calorie count, or "watch what I eat," because I've found the balance I've been craving. Ironic that cutting out over 30% of the average American diet lead to feeling balanced, but here we are.

I think part of this balance comes from the fact that a lot of the junk food we used to eat is no longer an option. By making these clear cut boundaries, it helps make choices for me. I no longer fight the urge to grab every cookie in the break room because I know they will make me sick for the rest of the day. Kyle made the point the other day, he doesn't even feel the need to get candy any more because all the good stuff is off limits (chocolate mostly.) There's nothing like the threat of debilitating stomach cramps to ward off any pesky cravings.

I would like to clarify: hold no judgement for anyone who eats animal products. Animal rights, reducing my carbon footprint, and lowering our grocery bill are all just nice side effects to me taking control of my own health, rather than the ultimate goal. I still get annoyed with vegans who feel the need to make other people feel bad for eating cheese. I understand that this lifestyle is not for everyone, and will cheer you on as you eat you bacon cheeseburger! You do you!

There are definitely things I still miss, but overall the benefits outweigh the downsides. I can get over not being able to have eggs for breakfast when it means I won't be a cranky pants all day. It's been a great experience for me, and while I can't say that I'll be doing this forever, I can say I'll be maintaining for the foreseeable future.

And to get even more new age and hippy on you, stay tuned for my next post about essential oils!


No comments:

Post a Comment